Sunday, July 1, 2012

Let the Quest Begin

Since getting my Kindle Fire two years ago, I have endeavored to make sure I got a lot of use out of it.  I've enjoyed it thus far and in my quest to find some good reads, I ventured to the Modern Library's Top 100 Novels of All Time.  I decided I'd set out a quest to read the entirety of the Board's list in reverse order. (the readers list, while it shared some of the same works featured four Ayn Rand Books in the top ten and seven Robert Heinlein books in the top 100).

Of the top 100, I've read eight of the works: The Great Gatsby (2), Brave New World (5), Catch-22 (7), Slaughterhouse-Five (18), Animal Farm (31), Lord of the Flies (41) and Heart of Darkness (67).

I've given myself a few rules with regard to the books.  The first is that I must read every book in reverse order, regardless if I have read it previously or not.  I foresee Jack Keroac's On the Road (55) being a particular challenge.  Ten years ago I attempted to read it while traveling in the amazon rain forest and ended up chucking it into the jungle after a parrot pooped on it.

Another rule will be that I am going to see how much this journey costs me.  A large number of the books on the list are in public domain, but I expect there will be some rare cases where the book is available at a cost on Amazon but is available for free download on Project Gutenburg.  In these cases, I will go with the free copy.

The final rule is that I must write at least some sort of review on the book.

With that said, I begin my journey with Booth Tarkington's socially conscious The Magnificent Ambersons (100).  I am about 20% of the way through the book and can thus far only find the main character having no redeeming qualities that can explain why Lucy Morgan would be interested in him other than being physically attractive and of high social standing.  I expect the relationship will be explored further in the book

Although I am not too far into the story, for some reason the main character reminds me of a better-spoken and not-morbidly-obese version of Dudley Dursley from J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series.

Days elapsed: 1
Books completed: 0/100.
Pages read: approximately 50.
Money spent: $0.00

No comments:

Post a Comment